Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If a municipality contacted work with a second municipality

where the second municipality had...
If a municipality contacted work with a second municipality where the second municipality had previously contracted the same work to be done by a private business in the past, is this legal? In other words, would not this situation be an example of government competing with private enterprise? And if it is, I had always assumed that such action was illegal. Is my assumption right or wrong? If it is illegal, where would is this be sited?
Thank You,
Dan F.
2/1/2013
There is no law preventing a municipality from competing with or taking the work of a private business in NE as long as the work being done are transactions that are incidental only to the administration of governmental power. See: Stadler v. Curtis Gas, Inc., 182 Neb. 6, 151 N.W.2d 915 (Neb., 1967). What this means is if the government agency is contracting with another municipality to perform a governmental task, even though that task may have been previously performed by a private enterprise, it is legal and not a stifling of private enterprise.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney