Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

can a confidentiality agrreement stop an fbi investigation

can a confidentiality agrreement stop an fbi investigation on a civil lawsuit for a hipaa privacy violation
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Why is the FBI investigating a HIPAA violation?
.
Typically the US Dept of Health and Human Services investigates HIPAA violations, not the FBI...
.
Is there some type of underlying criminal complaint that has been made that affects national security?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there has been a civil lawsuit against a company with medical records. the agreement has a confidentiality agreement the fbi is investigating the breach of computer data base no national security

Typically the FBI would be investigating any criminal violations of the law and a civil confidentiality agreement would not hinder their investigation because a criminal investigation trumps any civil contract for confidentiality.
.
So if the FBI is investigating, a confidentiality clause would not stop them. They could just get subpoenas for any records they wanted from a judge or warrants to come in and just seize records as part of their investigation.
.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you so much ive been waiting for two years for something to be happening

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.