How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56534
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My computer shut down so will re-submit. Its about

Customer Question

My computer shut down so will re-submit. Its about homeowner's insurance. Mine is canceling my policy because they say I have 2 claims for home repair. This is not the case. In 2010 I was staying with a terminal patient as a care giver and was away for weeks at a time. While gone from home the soft lead vert comer over my kitchen was destroyed. I had it repaired. Several months later when I was back home I opened the cabinet and it was warped and full of mold as well as the dry wall. I had to have them replaced. I did not think I had water damage coverage so didn't file a claim. I discovered that I did have coverage and filed a claim after the fact. The representative that came scolded me for not reporting it and having a claims rep. come to inspect the damage. The insurance company did honor my claim. In 2011 I had a leak in the wall between my garage/bathroom/hall. Since I had been chastised before I called to let them know about the leak. The rep insisted that I have a claim number which I didn't want as I had no way of telling if there was damage or not. He gave me a claim number anyway. I didn't have any damage so no claim was ever filed. Because of this claim number I am faced with the problem of getting homeowner's insurance at a decent premium. Is there anything I can do or an agency I can file a complaint with? I have already talked to my agent and was told that the insurance is not going to drop the claim although they have no documentation to substantiate it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. have you considered speaking to senior supervisors? The insurance department in your state? Or involving a local lawyer to negotiate with both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I haven't. I'm not sure what agency I should contact. Would it be an insurance commissioner. Departmet of Business and Professional Regulations or consumer advocatcy?

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
I would pursue all of the above including the insurance department, department financial services, dept of consumer affairs, and a complaint to a senior supervisor. A lawyer may also sue the company and seek a court order directing them to act. Here is a helpful link: and for local counsel I suggest
Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or better.