How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

You helped me greatly last time... so I have another question

This answer was rated:

You helped me greatly last time... so I have another question for you. :)
My soon to be ex and I sat down yesterday and completed the last of the preliminary and final diclosures and served them to each other. We have no children, not arguing over any assets and the final last home that we co-owned is in escrow and pending sale. No contest there either. Very Amicable.

My questions:
We have a case # XXXXX late 2011 (11FL0681)- am I endanger of it being expired??
We filled out a FL -141 and both signed.
We filled out a FL-144- noted "uncontested".
Lastly, we filled out an FL-170 (which if I am clear is waiving the hearing?). We have both signed as uncontested and both checked the box "I knowingly give up further any right to receive spousal support."

1st) is there a filing fee with any of these forms?
2nd) Can I simply walk in and date time stamp, put in box?
3rd) Can I expect the judge will waive a hearing and simply grant the divorce and assign a dissolution date? If so, how long does that usually take?
4th) If judge decides he wants a hearing, about how long will that take. Will there be a court fee? Do I get the divorce date as THAT Court day?

I really appreciated your lengthy and clear response to my previous question, so I am adding you as my fave :) Thanks in advance!!
1) You only pay the filing fee for filing the divorce petition itself and not the waivers or disclosures.

2) If you have been working on the case, no it is not going to end up expired unless either party had moved to dismiss it.

3) You would walk in and file it with the clerk or stamp it and leave it in the box.

4) The judge will typically have one hearing to grant the dissolution where the parties have to come to court, or at least one person does, and attest that this is true and correct before they issue the final dissolution order. Most all judges will schedule a final dissolution hearing to verify in person everything in the petition and documents is true and correct.

5) Typically 60 days is what it takes, depending on how busy the court is at the time you file for the final order of divorce now that everything is completed. It can take up to 180 days, but again that depends on how busy the court is when you file.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you