Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We are a small collection agency, cant afford an attorney,

We are a small collection agency, can’t afford an attorney, I have been handling settlements myself. I got a class action suit in "United states District Court Middle District of Florida. A couple questions: 1. is a class action suit minimum $1,000,000? I reached out to the attorney explained we are financially strapped offered $2000, he responded with get your insurance involve, would that be a bonding company?
Are you a licensed business entity? LLC, C-Corp, S-Corp?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

S Corp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

S Corp

The issue is that to represent an S-Corp, LLC or C-corp the ower legally cannot represent the business as the business is a separate entity and a person cannot represent anyone other than themselves pro se, the company must have an attorney. There are no minimum statutory damages in a class action, the damages are whatever they can prove they suffered plus any punitive damages if available. To be in federal court on a state law claim based on diversity of citizenship, the minimum damages is greater than $75,000, but other than that there are no minimum damages they have to have to seek to have a federal class action suit under federal laws.

If you have a bond company or insurance, they are telling you to get with them to cover your attorney's fees as most bonds and insurance policies have clauses stating they will provide legal representation.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have read that there is a 1% cap on the net worth of the company, is that true?

I am sorry, I do not understand what you mean about the 1% net worth cap. Can you explain that some more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What I mean is can they recover more than 1% of the net worth of the company?

Thank you. In a suit for illegal collection practices against a debt collector, the court has the discretion of awarding as high as $500,000 or 1% of defendant’s net worth, whichever is lower.