Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

If we are filing a report on an employee stealing money at

If we are filing a report on an employee stealing money at work, is there a limit amount before we can file them? and where do we file the report? Thank you!! Houston, Tx.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you this morning.

If I may ask, who are you filing a report with? That will tell me what statutory period may be at play. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would assume local police dept? this is our first time, although we are still investingating among the staff. $1500+ cash has been stolen.

Thank you for your follow-up, Josephine.

For misdemeanor offenses, there is a 2 year statute limitation from the commission of the crime. The amount is low enough that the DA may potentially consider it a misdemeanor offense. For felony theft, Texas has a 5 year statute of limitations. Fraud, under civil statutes, has a 4 year statute.

Here are the criminal limitations as per the statutory guidelines:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/CR/htm/CR.12.htm

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no clear statement about the amount of the stolen cash. We just want to be sure to inform the staff that a police report could be filed even with say as low as $100?

There is no lower limit as to your losses. If someone stole a dollar or a stick of gum, it is still theft and permits you the right to seek recourse civilly as well as file a criminal complaint. The lower the amount taken from the business, the lower the gradation of the crime, which is why I provided you with statutory limitations for both felonies and misdemeanors.

Good luck.

Good luck.