How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Legal Expert
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been notified by the Service Coordinator

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been notified by the Service Coordinator of an independent senior apartment building where his mother lives that an APS report has been filed and that she cannot return to her apartment unless adequate steps have been taken to support and care for her. She went to the hospital on January 2, 2013 for internal bleeding and remained for 12 days and then sent to a rehab nursing facility for OT, PT, and to help with her medications. We will be meeting with the medical team at her nursing facility to discuss her release date and care. She is a Medicare/Medical patient and we can offer no financial support and she has shown us signs of dementia, particularly insisting that someone is coming into her apartment and touching or taking her things and/or food. How should we respond to this?

TMcJD : Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.
TMcJD : Is she eligible for Medicaid?
TMcJD : Has the coordinator indicated what he/she considers to be "adequate steps" to ensure her care? In this type of case, the apartment complex is worried about liability and probalby believes this is a stage where your mother-in-law should transition to an assisted living facility or nursing home (if she is unable to properly care for herself (even with some assistance) in the independent living apartment. Please get back to me on the questions asked and I can further assist you.
Thomas McJD and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thanks for rating my answer positively. Please do let me know if you need any additional information or clarification.