Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hi Sorry if this is a duplicate question my first one appeared

to disappear upon submitting. We...
Hi Sorry if this is a duplicate question my first one appeared to disappear upon submitting. We are a UK company who provide advertising leads and have supplied leads to an American company who have now become very evasive when it comes to payment. What options do we have from the UK?
2/1/2013
INC
INC, Lawyer

INC :

Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.

INC :

Hi, have the other company signed a contract with your company?

Customer:

yes we have acontract signedby them

Customer:

They are based in California. We have emailed our concerns to them today and have asked them to respond urgently. We wanted some legal advice before threatening legal action.

INC :

What country's law gooverns the agreement?

Customer:

English law

INC :

Hi, does the company have any type of registered office in the UK?

Customer:

No I dont believe they do.

Customer:

We are probably looking at legal action in the US and wondered how easy this is and the best way to instigate it without having to go to America?

INC :

What is the value of the claim?

INC :

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been busy with other commitments today.

Customer:

between 15 and 20 thousand pounds. Ditto about the delays...

INC :

Hi, you should be able to issue proceedings in the US with the assistance of a US Attorney. However, if the matter proceeds to trial, you may have to travel to the US.

INC :
INC :

Many thanks,

Customer:

Hi Inc,

Customer:

How do we go about contracting an attorney, is it just a question of finding a website for one and going from there? Could we proceed on a no win no fee basis?

INC :

Hi, I wopuld suggest asking someone that has had to instruct a US Attorney, alternatively, searching the yellow pages etc.

INC :
INC :

kind regards,

Customer:

I wopuld suggest asking someone that has had to instruct a US Attorney,

Customer:

This is the reason I came to justanswer - this doesnt really answer my question in any sort of detail or give me anywhere to go next that I couldnt try before.. Perhaps my question was not really relevant for a UK expert. You responded fairly quickly and several times so I am going to have to mark poor rather than bad service. Sorry.

INC :

Hi, which state is the defendant company based in?

Customer:

California

1. Its not even a f**king UK law question.

2. The expert clearly has no clue about the US law system, which my question was about.

I dont want to waste any more time in this asynchronous 'expert' chat. This whole experience has been a waste of time for all concerned.

The end.

Tina, Lawyer

Hello and welcome,

I am a U.S. attorney and would be happy to assist you if you would be so kind as to allow me. You simply wish to obtain sources to locate an attorney to represent you in this matter--a breach of contract case?

David C. Garner
David C. Garner, Attorney

I am a U.S. attorney located in California. I will be happy to help if I can. Please let me know.

Dave

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Hello over there across the pond. I am another expert here and I'd like to see if I can assist on this question. You obviously have a commercial collection matter at hand.The fact that you are in England should not present a problem. Typically, there are a two basic ways to proceed: One, turn the matter over to a professional collection agent either in England or the US. Two would be to contact an commercial collection attorney directly. Everyone communicates by e-mail and fax these days, and most commercial collection companies work on percentages as well as attorneys. Although it might be somewhat less expensive for you to go directly to a mid-sized US lawfirm in CA, it's hard to say because eventually the collection will be referred to an attorney, and some of the collection agencies are attorneys themselves. The Commercial Law League of America (CLLA)is a highly respected organization. They have a collection arm. See: http://www.clla.org/sections/ccaa.cfm. California collection attorneys listed by city can be found in Martindale.com, which is also highly respected. Both have been in existence for more than 50 years that I'm aware of. Thanks for your patience. I hope this information is helpful. If any part is unclear, please send a reply, and I'll be back to you
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney