Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Hi, I am a 32 years old college student in Florida, today

I am a 32 years old college student in Florida, today I was having a deferential equation exam “advance math class” from 03:30 pm to 05:00 pm when I left the exam room I went to my care and I saw some of my friends in the parking, while I was talking with my friends in front of my car a woman came to me and asked me if I am one of the student who was taking the deferential equation exam, I answered her and I told her yes I just finished the test , suddenly she started shouting at me and asking me to give her my phone as she want to see the phone photos, I refused to give away my phone, she told me she is the math department head and she have the authority to take my mobile “ in the middle of the street” as she received an information from one student telling her that there are some student were taking a picture of the test ”cheating “.
I replied to her that she don’t have such authority and this is my privacy, even though she insisted to take my phone, when I resist she said she is going to call the campus security to take my phone by force, but even though I didn’t agree as and I said if you want, please call the police and if the police got all the necessary approvals I will give it to them, but I will not give it to you, after that I left without letting her taking my phone.
This act from the head of the math department was really discriminating, as everyone who was in the parking thought that I am a cheater or I have cheated in the exam, and I got embarrassed in front of everyone who was there.
I am an Arabic student and I am in the XXXXX XXXXXst because of my high GPA, I have never cheated or even received car ticket.
My question is do I have a valid case or a legal case against the math department head and the university?
Appreciate your understanding and promote follow up.
Thanks and Regards
Hamad
My email is : [email protected]

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

That is a terrible situation you were placed in

Sam :

I suggest that you will want to take the matter to the Dean as soon as possible.

Sam :

You may have a defamation lawsuit against the Teacher and so that is something you can mention to the Dean

Sam :

You can state that you want a public apology. That you have never cheated and you feel you were singled out because of your national origin

Sam :

Then I suggest you consult with a local attorney who will decide if this teacher has enough assets to sue -

Sam :

No attorney will take a case where the person does not have assets to recover when you win

Customer:

thanks,but she is the head of a department , she dont teach, doesnt that mean she is representing the university

Customer:

?

Sam :

I see

Sam :

Yes If she was doing this as a representative of the Department.

Sam :

Yes, so you will need to consult with a local attorney and decide if you were defamed and to what extent.

Sam :

Also You should go to the Dean and tell what happened and how you were embarassed

Sam :

And that you are going to seek the advice of a local attorney because she was accusing and demanding without proof

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do that first thing in the morning

Sam :

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Sam :

If you have other questions, please post them here and I will provide you information. Otherwise, I would appreciate you taking time to rate this service "good to excellent" so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close your question. You will always be able to review it. It will only close a Chat - Thank you and good luck