Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I purchased a handgun from a friend who lives in Florida.

He delivered it to me...
I purchased a handgun from a friend who lives in Florida. He delivered it to me here in NJ. I paid him and he gave me the handgun and the original bill of sale. What do I have to do, if anything, to "register" it in NJ so I can go to a firing range and do some target practice.
1/2/2013
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

New Jersey requires that a person have a firearms identification card, which you can get by filing an application with the local police department, paying the fee, submitting fingerprints, and awaiting the results of the background check. Here is the application for a permit.

Here are other forms and permits, including an application for permit to carry. The application(s) are completed and filed with your local police department.

Here is more information.

Please rate my service positively before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - otherwise, please reply so we can continue the conversation. Good luck.

I already have 2 Handgun purchase permits and a permit to purchase rifles and ammunition. I purchased a handgun from a friend. What do I do next?

If you already have the permits, they won't fingerprint you again. However, New Jersey requires a permit to purchase for every handgun that you bring into the state, so you would still need to fill out that form and take it to the police department.

Thanks. I don't have the for with me but will check it when I get home. If I have any questions, how do I get in touch with you tomorrow Lucy????

You can return to this page, even after rating, with any follow-up questions. I'll get an email, so I'll know that you're looking for me. If you had unrelated questions, you could open a new question page and put "For Lucy" in the subject, to ensure that I'll see it.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My purchase was from a friend in FLORIDA. On the handgun Purchase Permit there are 2 areas of possible use, one is for a dealer (not this case), the other is for an Individual and in red next to the word Individual it says in RED (Must be a NJ resident). Can I still use that area or do I have a problem?

See if they have a different permit application for an out-of-state purchase. You cannot use that form if you bought the gun from a private party living out of state. They may have some other process.

OK, I'll have to go to the police station or state police station for the answer. I am where I was when I originally asked the question, "I purchased a handgun from a friend who lives in Florida. He delivered it to me here in NJ. I paid him and he gave me the handgun and the original bill of sale. What do I have to do, if anything, to "register" it in NJ so I can go to a firing range and do some target practice.".

If you call the state police, they can tell you if is a different application you can download.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Shipment and transfer of firearms across state lines is governed by federal law:

A private citizen may ship a firearm across state lines, however the weapon must be shipped to an authorized firearms dealer or gunsmith in the state of the recipient. Here is a link to the Federal ATF website with a "Q&A" regarding this, it addresses shipments between family members (not exempt) and shipments of relics or heirlooms (also not exempt). http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-curios-relics

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

I already paid and tipped Lucy for her original answer which turned out to be no answer to my question. I tried to rate you very Good and thank you but I was told that if i gave you "another" good answer I have to pay more. Not fair.

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately I do not have any control over that side of the operation. But I do thank you for your appreciation, and I wish you the very best with your matter.

Best regards,
Bill

Thank You!

Lucy, Esq., Attorney