How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118272
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We boarded our dog while on vacation at a local vets office.

This answer was rated:

We boarded our dog while on vacation at a local vet's office. Three days before our return, our dog got away from the vet. We were not notified until our return. Had I been called, my husband was not on the trip and could have gone to look for the dog. We spent Christmas Eve day and Christmas day looking for our dog. She has been missing for a week and a half now and we haven't stopped looking. The vet only said that he was sorry and hasn't even called to see if we found her. My kids are devastated. Could the vet be sued for pain and suffering and the loss of the dog and what type of attorney would I need to hire?
I am sorry to hear about your dog. Unfortunately, according to the law a pet is considered property no different than your car or your house. Thus, if your car is damaged or taken you only are entitled to the value of the car at the time of the damage or theft. In this instance the vet owed you a duty to care for your property, they were negligent in that duty and are liable to you for the value of your property (See: LA Civ. Code Art 2315, person is liable for all damage caused by their negligence).

Thus, you would be able to recover the value of the dog and any money you paid the vet for him to board the dog, but I am afraid that the LA courts do not award emotional distress damages for property damage or loss claims. You do not need an attorney for this, you can go to your parish justice of the peace or small claims court to sue without an attorney if the vet refuses to pay you the value of the dog upon your demand.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I contact the vet and ask for money for my dog? And if we should eventually find our dog, do I give him the money back?

You should contact the vet and if you do find the dog you would be entitled to any costs you incurred looking for the dog, so yes you would be able to keep the money. You should make a demand for settlement in writing to the vet first and sue only if he refuses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Any suggestions on what I should include in letter and how much should I ask for? (You are being a great help to me! Thanks)

In the letter you need to state he contracted with you to board the dog and he was negligent in allowing the dog to escape and under Louisiana law he is liable for the loss of your property and you demand $X, the value of your dog and costs. As far as how much to ask for, you have to determine the actual value of your dog, plus any costs you incurred in boarding or in looking for the dog so far.
Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you