Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

iI AM NOW THE LEGALUARDIAN OF A MENTALLY RETARDED BROTHER WHO

iI AM NOW THE LEGALUARDIAN OF A MENTALLY RETARDED BROTHER WHO RESIDES IN A GROUP HOME. I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HIM NOW BECAUSE OF HIS BEHAVIOUR AND THE GROUP HOME THINKS HE SHOULD GO TO A DIFFERENT GROUP HOME, SO FAR WE HAVE FOUND NOWHERE ELSE FOR HIM TO GO. HE IS 54 YEARS OLD. I AM THE OLDEST AND HAVE BEEN HIS GUARDIAN FOR 5 YEARS AND I AM TOTALLY STRESSED OUT. I WOULD LIKE MY 2 OTHER SIBLINGS TO STEP UP . NO ONE WANTS THE RESPONSIBILITY- IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ALL 3 OF US TO SHARE THE RESPONSIBILITY EQUALLY?

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ALL 3 OF US TO SHARE THE RESPONSIBILITY EQUALLY? I am sorry to hear about this dilemma that you are facing. Yes it is possible for all three to become court appointed co-guardians with you, but not unless they agree to serve as such. It would certainly be best for all three to assume some responsibility so that one person doesn't shoulder the entire burden, but it can't be forced on anyone. Perhaps the social services workers can suggest ways that the siblings can help on a voluntary basis without assuming formal responsibility. l thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.