Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I was bitten by a lady bug in a hotel room that sent me to

I was bitten by a lady bug in a hotel room that sent me to the hospital and spoiled my vacation. Can I sue the hotel chain for that?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Was there an infestation of bugs in your room, or did you just see one? Also, are you sure you were bitten by a ladybug in your room?

Customer: Ok . What do you think?
Customer:

sorry

Customer:

well,... i need to go to the ER to find out..... but there were a few lady bugs... walking around yes...

Customer:

And I'm on the 10th floor.

Customer:

the were walking in the corridors as well but more in my room. I took a picture of 1 or 2 flying around. But I am definitely in pain.

Customer:

Ok . What do you think?

TexLawyer :

If you can definitively prove that the bite from the ladybug caused your injuries, and the hotel knew or should have known about them and the danger they posed (i.e., their presence was obvious), you can win a suit.

Customer:

yea... What should I do now? How much can I sue them for?

TexLawyer :

However, it is my understanding that ladybugs are not dangerous to humans.

TexLawyer :

I think you may have difficulties proving that a ladybug bite resulted in hospitalization.

Customer:

Here is what a doctor just told me.

Customer:

Thanks for quick input.I am sorry to hear about your problems.
Your symptoms may occur with allergic reaction from lady bug bite.
Usually bite marks may be very small, and can be difficult to see.
It can sometimes be serious and need immediate medical care.

In your case, considering severity of pain, i suggest that please don't delay and rush to ER ASAP.
You need to apply 1% Cortisone cream mixed with Bacitracin ointment twice a day on affected area for 5-7 days. Also take Tab Claritin 10 mg once a day for one week. These are OTC drugs.

At this time, It is advised to visit ER for prompt management.

TexLawyer :

In short, he's wrong. Ladybugs are not poisonous. http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm#2

Customer:

What do you think?

TexLawyer :

If your injuries were caused by a ladybug bite, first you would attempt to negotiate a settlement.

TexLawyer :

You could get reimbursement for the hospital bills, the nights at the hotel, and pain and suffering.

Customer:

okay...

Customer:

Thank you.. I will go to the ER. no to see thanks

TexLawyer :

Clearly, the "pain and suffering" is more negotiable, since that is a subjective figure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay...what s ball park figure for what i am going through. i cant walk right

It really depends on the extent of the pain and how it effects your day to day life and for how long. You really can't put an exact figure on it for a while. My guess is that a bug bite, however, is not going to be worth more than a couple thousand dollars, but, again, that all depends on the details.