How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what do i do if my lawyer is not taking my case serious, not

This answer was rated:

what do i do if my lawyer is not taking my case serious, not advising me what is to my best intrest, and acting as if he will settle, just to keep from going to court and discouraging and confusing me about the settlement/court, not taking my calls, not returning calls?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Do you want to replace the attorney? Did the attorney take the case on contingency?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he contacted me through the Police Department with my accident number, he is supposed to get 1/3 of payout

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Explain contingency??
contingency means that the attorney is paid a percentage of recovery (e.g. 1/3rd). Do you want to replace the attorney?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I stated that there was a 1/3 payout and you asked for more information? So, there is a Contingency.

Yes, that would be a contingency, and the information request asked whether you want to replace this attorney. If you do not, what recourse do you seek?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I do not want to replace him because, he will still be payed a portion and there will be another lawyers fee tacked on. A member from an outside agency to view and review the case and him. A bar complaint.

Thank you Dewayne, the threat of a bar complaint may be enough to compel the attorney to offer better service/representation. You should therefore consider drafting the complaint and attaching it to a letter to your attorney advising that if the attorney does not improve the level of representation you will file the complaint with the bar. Also, with respect to an outside agency reviewing the case, the only agency to do this would be the DC Bar Office of Bar Counsel: If you do not believe the attorney would respond favorably to a demand letter, your recourse would be to report the matter to Bar Counsel. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
MShore and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you