lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
15417118

I had an account at a premier domain registration service and

I had an account at a premier domain registration service and my account information and details were let out to unauthorized customers that shut me out of the account and put me out of business. Do I have a legal recourse on this issue?
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

Who released your information?

Why did that put you out of business?

Was there a privacy agreement between you and the party that released the information?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The company in question is Godaddy.com to which I have had a domain registration account with my customers web site in formation within it.

I had done some website work more or less on a "bro bono" for a future family member and this information was in this account, when it all went array with my fiance's family and the person in question and did not compensate us on the work rendered. In turn, I had turn off the questioned website. During the course of time, this person acquired an individual that some how accessed my account information and shut me out of the account to which I had to cancel all the other accounts I had that put my internet business out of business.

To add insult to injury, this person has smeared my name up and down the whole east coast by circulating my previous criminal records of 25 years ago. Can I do something about this? I am sure that I am not the only one that has had privacy information leaked out of a "secure" type of information website.

The privacy agreement between myself, clients and the company (GoDaddy.com) is the standard privacy agreement that they guarantee each and every account.

the person in question and did not compensate us on the work rendered. In turn, I had turn off the questioned website. During the course of time, this person acquired an individual that some how accessed my account information and shut me out of the account to which I had to cancel all the other accounts I had that put my internet business out of business.

It appears that you would have a case against the "person" that you mentioned. First you would have a right to compensation for the work that you performed for them in accordance for whatever agree you had. The problem is that you state you agreed to do it for free. However, you also have a claim for them illegally accessing your account, whatever account that was, and putting you out of business. I am not quite sure how that put you out of business or how much in actual damages you can show but if you can get by those two hurdles you do have a claim.

I do not see that you have a claim against Godaddy based on what you have posted. You would have to show that they were negligent in some way and you have not stated any proof that they were negligent. Further trying to file suit against them would probably be cost prohibitive.

As to the criminal history, unfortunately that is public information and it is not defamation if the information is the truth. However, it would bolster your claim that they intentionally and illegally shut down your business.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Understand, I would not even pursue this if this person just left the issue alone, after 3 years she had sent me an invoice for $580.00 for damages she claims from myself and I did not do anything to her. Should I just take this to court, file suit, or just take the habitual harassment I endure every-time we visit the state of Connecticut?

I worked over 30 hours on this site and then hosted it upon my own servers and got nothing in return but bad mouthing and ridicule over these last years. I am call GoDaddy.com to find out how my information was leaked out and changed, is there any current privacy class actions going on right now, I can't be the only one.

I don't know of any class actions against Godaddy and I don't see that you would qualify if there were. Your facts are too specific. However, since you have waited for more than three years, any court actions would now be barred by the Conn statute of limitations which is three years.