How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Im looking for the right type of lawyer to handle my

This answer was rated:

Hello, Im looking for the right type of lawyer to handle my case. I was involved in a car accident where I was the sole driver of a rental vehicle under my name and possibly caused alot of damage, due to my vehicle failing to decrease speed down a hill despite my best efforts. At the scene of the accident, I was denied the option of going to the hospital and placed in a police car in cuffs without being read my rights or thoroughly searched. I blew below the legal limit (also was on meds that are safe for driving). Blood was not drawn despite me asking for it. I am set to appear in court in a few months for failure to decrease speed but also have a pink ticket with impaired driving penciled in.

Whew, anyway, I have to deal with claims right now, mainly my credit card company, my insurance company, the rental company, and the police who have the report. I would like to know what is the best type of lawyer to handle the insurance side of things, and also, what is the best type of lawyer to handle the more civil/criminal sides to this. Dont have a criminal record, been serving my country for 7 years. Id like to know the best way to handle this and also cover all my bases.

Thank you for your time

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

As far as the criminal side goes, you'll want a criminal defense attorney for any sort of impaired driving/DUI charges. The judge will appoint a lawyer for you at the initial appearance if you qualify for a free court-appointed attorney. If the charges are not DUI-type charges, then any litigation attorney can help - there are private attorneys who do multiple types of litigation, including both criminal and civil. This is good, because it actually means that you may be able to find one lawer to handle everything.

For the insurance side, you're looking for a litigation attorney with experience in personal injury and insurace litigation. That way, you have someone who is used to negotiating with insurance companies, who understands how the court system works, and knows exactly how to handle this sort of case. Again, many litigation attorneys will do both civil and criminal work. For that reason, it may be a good idea to call a few different attorneys that advertise a general litigation practice to see if they could take care of everything for you. Not only could it be potentially cheaper to avoid duplicative work, it's often better for you to have one lawyer who knows everything that is happening in all of your legal matters.

A good place to look for an attorney is, which has client reviews and ratings for many lawyers. The North Carolina Bar Association also has a referral service that may be able to help.

If you have any questions at all about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service at 3-5 faces/stars so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Ma'am, very informative. Would you recommend me focusing my search on lawyers in my county or somewhere else close by but seperate enough from small town politics. Reason why I ask is because I live in a military town where the police are often ex-military and friends with everyone. I could be wrong and just overthinking it, but its definitely a sticky situation Id like to avoid if at all possible.
Typically, it's a good idea to look for a lawyer located near the courthouse where your case is likely to be heard, because lawyers often charge for travel time, and that's one way to save money. If you find someone who will accept either case for a flat rate, that may be less of a consideration. You want a lawyer that you're comfortable with. If you sit down for a consultation and you get a bad feeling, or you're not sure that the lawyer is going to look out for your best interests, you are free to thank them for their time and keep looking. There's no obligation to stick with the first lawyer you meet.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good Common Sense Advice, hard to find round these parts lol Winktitle="Wink"/>, thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To follow up, being that I live in North Carolina and I was the sole driver who caused property damaged, more than likely, I will be found at fault for this accident. Thus far, I have contacted both my credit card and insurance company and have faxed thus far, copies of the rental agreement and the claim # for collision damage to the rental vehicle. My insurance told me they will contact the rental car company to see if there is any additional liability coverage from their parent insurance company (Elco) since my property damages exceed my policy limits (25k). I have not made any recorded statements to any parties thus far.


I think I'm handling this the right way, trying to fix the property damage with every resource at my disposal while my lawyer handles the criminal side of the house (only have a failure to decrease speed charge on my ticket, Thank God). As of now, I'm going to doctor's appointments and I am scheduled to speak with a legal advisor at the hospital I'm visiting next week. As far as I know, according to the police, my insurance company, and my fuzzy memory, no one was injured, just property damage.


Should I hire a litigation attorney to speak on my behalf to my insurance company (they are playing hard-ball with me right now) or simply comply with my insurance company? It's really hard to tell whether or not they are on my side or are simply trying to close the case and stick me with some bill. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If it is undisputed that the property damage exceeds your policy limits, usually, the insurance company would just write a check for the limit and then walk away. If that's the situation, there isn't anything a lawyer can do that would persuade the insurance company to pay amounts over the policy limits. So, the only way that hiring a lawyer would help you is if your argument is that the property damage was actually a lot less than what the other party is claiming. In that case, really, what you're looking at is the amount in dispute versus the cost of a lawyer (which could be a couple thousand dollars).