How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sorry for the confusion but my original question is what are

This answer was rated:

Sorry for the confusion but my original question is what are my rights in locating my mothers nursing home address in Jacksonville ,Florida.
My brother will not let me know where she is living.

Hello and welcome.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. First, I have some questions for you so I can determine what information to provide you.

Does your brother have Power of Attorney over your mother's affairs or is he a court appointed guardian? What is his reason for not providing you with her location?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apparently he has a power of attorney from Maine although I have never seen it. In any case I don,t understand his reason of not giving me her address other than he is just being mean spirited and being in control.

I see. Thank you for the additional information, Walter.

It does sound as though he is being mean-spirited and/or controlling if he does not have a legitimate reason for withholding this information from you.

You could perform a people search on one of the websites that provide that service, such as, which I have used successfully.

If that does provide you with the information you are seeking, then you would typically need to either hire a private investigator or obtain a court order compelling him to provide this information to you.

To seek a court order, you would normally need to file a petition for guardianship of your mother and then seek information with regard to her whereabouts through the discovery process.

However, if your brother wishes to avoid litigation, a demand letter from a local attorney may be enough to motivate him to comply, since a court will not typically look kindly on his actions.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.


Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Tina and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the advice I guess the demand letter would have to be from a lawyer in Florida?
Hello again, Walter.

Yes, it should be from an attorney in the state where your mother is located.

You are very welcome and all the best in 2013! Please remember to provide a positive rating so I will be compensated for my time. Thank you so much!