How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawrence D. Gorin Your Own Question
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Lawyer.
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1544
Experience:  30+ years of legal expertise. Informed, knowledgeable, helpful.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawrence D. Gorin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in 2012 and I was wondering how I should file

This answer was rated:

I got married in 2012 and I was wondering how I should file my taxes this year. My husband did not work at all this year and this will not be filing. Should I still file as married? Also, he was my domestic partner last year and was on my medical insurance. Would this affect anything?
Your IRS income tax filing status for the entire 2012 year depends on your marital status as of the last day of the year (Dec 31, 2012). If you are married as of that date and residing with your spouse, you can file a joint tax return with your spouse ("married joint") even if spouse had no income. Or you can file your own tax return as "married filing separately"). From the facts you are presenting, filing as "married joint" with spouse would generally be to your benefit.
The fact that he was your domestic partner last year and was on your medical insurance will not affect anything.
Happy New Year.
Lawrence D. Gorin and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you