How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a letter in the mail saying I am not entitled

This answer was rated:

I have received a letter in the mail saying I am not entitled to my disability checks anymore, they are taking away my Medicare ,too! They say I've performed substantial gainful activity, but I've been earning less than the maximum for years! They say I owe them $69,599.80 from Nov. 2006. I am HIV positive and almost 64 years old. I don't know what to do. Help!!!!!!!m
I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
I am very sorry to hear this is happening to you. When the SSA determines there has been an overpayment, they have a right to collect that overpayment, that is the starting premise only. I am afraid however, that you need to now produce evidence that you were indeed disabled and unable to work as required by the SSDI guidelines and you need to file for an appeal hearing with the SSA. You are entitled to use an attorney at this hearing and if you win your case you can get SSA to pay your legal fees and you should do so. Furthermore, even if they prove you were not entitled to the benefits, your attorney has the ability to negotiate on the repayment upon proof there was no fraud and all of your work was disclosed and they continued to pay you benefits with the disclosure, then the director of SSA can approve a waiver or reduction of the overpayment upon your proof of the significant financial hardship that the repayment and loss of benefits would cause you.

If SSA is alleging intentional fraud, you must use an attorney because the matter then has criminal implications and you should not be making any statements to anyone about the working or overpayments.

To get a local SS attorney, you need to use the same sites used by other attorneys, or and most of the times these appeals are found in favor of the recipient unless there is intentional fraud involved.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you