BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

I hired a contractor to build a kitchen cabinet. I already

I hired a contractor to build a kitchen cabinet. I already paid him half of the money and after two months, it's not finished and he has done a terrible job both in using materials and building the cabinets. He doesn't have a registered business and our contract vaguely states that he will build a solid wood cabinet according to my design. He made a mistake in getting the correct measurement the first time and told me that he will redo it. I later found out that he is not using the materials that he promised. Unfortunately, I have paid him all the money in checks ( Payable to his name and not a business). Please advise on how i can move forward to atleast get some of the money back ?

BizAttorney :

Good evening! I can help you out with your legal question tonight. In order to better assist you, I need to ask you a few questions. What state are you in?

BizAttorney :

Also, how much total money was the job?

Customer:

Good evening. I live in Atlanta GA. The total money was around $7000. I initially paid him $3500 and then paid him extra $800 as he asked for money to buy material

BizAttorney :

Thank you! In Georgia, the maximum amount you can get in small claims court is $15,000. You first have to write a letter to him telling him to correct the mistakes made or you will be forced to hire another contractor.

BizAttorney :

You then get a bid from another contractor so that you will know how much more you will have to pay if the original contractor doesn't finish the job correctly.

BizAttorney :

You then bring a suit in small claims court for the amount that it costs to fix the cabinets.

Customer:

I see. The problem is that I really don't want him to work on the project anymore. I don't trust him. I have shown his work to friends and other contractor and they all think that he does a cheap and sloppy job

BizAttorney :

You will also want to check the state contractor's board to see if the company is licensed to assemble cabinets. If they aren't, then in your letter you will use that against them.

Customer:

He is not

Customer:

He doesn't have paper work

BizAttorney :

That is fine, if you don't want them to finish it. Then you still write the letter and demand a return of your money since he is not licensed. Failure to do so will result in a lawsuit where the court could punish him monetarily because he acted without a license.

BizAttorney :

If that doesn't work, then you sue for breach of contract in small claims court.

Customer:

I see.

Customer:

I already wrote him a letter with deadline on when he can pay me back. I also offered a $1500 deduction. He didn't sign it and asked me to wait until next week so he can work and get some money to pay me. He is not willing to honor that anymore and told me that he doesn't have time for this and wants to work so he can pay his worker

BizAttorney :

If you already wrote the letter, then you can bring suit in small claims court against him.

Customer:

I see. Can I use this chat content to atleast show him that I am serious ?

BizAttorney :

Yes, just copy and paste it into a word document.

Customer:

Thanks a lot

BizAttorney :

You are very welcome! Have a great night and please give me feedback so I can continue to help others.

Customer:

I will

BizAttorney :

Thank you!