How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Landlord tenant case - I am the tenant. I broke the

This answer was rated:

I have a Landlord tenant case - I am the tenant. I broke the lease to get into a cheaper spot. Had been trying to work with the previous landlord for nearly 9 months with no resolution so we had to go. I did not act in the best of my company and did not respond to the lawsuit and got a default judgement against us. We are to appear in court on Thursday this week to provide financial documents. My question is this - if I contact the attorney managing the suit for my previous landlord, is it too late to ask for a settlement? Also, what should I expect when I show up and provide my personal assets to the court?

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

A settlement is always possible and it doesn't hurt to try and offer something to the attorney.

If an agreement cannot be reached, you should comply with the court order and go to court and provide the documentation of your assets that has been requested.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK - thank you. So, even though a judgement has been filed against me, I can still try to negotiate with the attorney for the landlord - I will try that step first. So if we come to an agreement, then the court subpoena will be void, is that correct? I want to pay what's just and fair and want to make an offer that seems realistic. Does half of the settlement amount seem just? Thank you!

If you come to a settlement agreement, they need to contact the court and release you from the subpoena. If they do not, you will still need to comply with the subpoena so as not to risk a contempt of court charge.

Offering half the amount is a good place to start. However, remember that they don't have as much incentive to settle now as they did before getting the judgment. You need to offer them a reason why they would want the settlement, like you are going to ask for the case to reheard or that you are going to be very hard to collect against.
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you