Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I contacted a business to ship hosehold items overseas (from

Atlanta to Djubuti) the freight...
I contacted a business to ship hosehold items overseas (from Atlanta to Djubuti) the freight Forwarder recieved funds and only paid partial to shipping agency when the items reached port of Djbuti My forwarder closed business and i was stuck with final balance 0f about 4180.00 US dollars that I have to come up agin to have the items released at the port of destination which I did. I found the forwarder in diffrent location operating with diffrent name and office and called cops which he said does not deny but needs time to pay me back. What can I do to get my money?
12/4/2012
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thank you for your question. It is reprehensible that this company did this to you.

This is an amount you can likely collect in small claims court. However, this would require that you be present in the United States to go to court on the hearing date.

Filing a lawsuit is the only sure fire way to collect on this amount.

Let me know if you want to know more about filing a small claims case and I'll walk you through the steps.

-ZDN
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thank you for your prompt response I am in atlanta and am still here in USA

here is some details you may have not recived but question was submitted while I was editing my details hope I get much clearer response

I contacted a business( see specifics stated below) to ship household items overseas (from Atlanta to Addis Ababa Ethiopia through the port of Djibouti) the freight Forwarder received funds(total payment agreed) and only paid partial to shipping agency (VSHIP) when the items reached port of Djibouti My forwarder closed his business without any notification. I was stuck with final balance 0f about 4280.00 US dollars that I have to come up again to have the items released at the port of destination which I did.

I found the forwarder in different location operating with different name and office and called cops(East point Police Dept.) which he said does not deny everything I stated but needs time to pay me back. What can I do to get my money back?

NAME OF BUSINESS WORLD FREIGHT SYSTEMS,LLC

FORMER ADDRESSXXXXXSUITE A

MORROW GA 30260

Shipper VSHIP

36,36,33RD STREET

STC 207 LONG ISLAND NY 11106

TEL-XXX-XXX-XXXX

CONTAINER NO.LPTU847112

BOOKING NO. 038CHI1015762

Current location of business

XXXXX/p>

East Point GA 30344

Owner of business

NANA ADOMA KWUMI

Phonne XXX-XXX-XXXX

PERSONAL ADDRESS

XXXXX/p>

RIVERDALE GA 30296

Again, your best bet is to file a small claims case.

Do you have the freight forwarder's new address and name?

You said that you have located the freight forwarder that went out of business and they admitted they were liable. Did you personally hear them say this?

Did anyone else hear them say it?

Yes

Current location of business

XXXXX/p>

East Point GA 30344

Owner of business

NANA ADOMA KWUMI

and he said it infront of 2 East point Police officers.

Relist: Other.
I already know that i have to file the case in small claim I gave specifics wanting to know
Forms
Locations
Procedures to go and file my case

here is the detail case again

FORMER ADDRESSXXXXXSUITE A
MORROW GA 30260
Shipper VSHIP
36,36,33RD STREET
STC 207 LONG ISLAND NY 11106
TEL-718-706-8566
CONTAINER NO.LPTU847112
BOOKING NO. 038CHI1015762
Current location of business XXXXX
East Point GA 30344
Owner of business
NANA ADOMA KWUMI
Phonne(NNN) NNN-NNNN
PERSONAL ADDRESS XXXXX
RIVERDALE GA 30296

No need to relist. I'm trying to work with you here. Be patient and let me gather the information you need. I'll be back with you shortly.

Thanks,
ZDN
Thank you will Waite for your response
You would file suit against in the Fulton County Magistrate Court.

You need to sue NANA ADOMA KWUMI and WORLD FREIGHT SYSTEMS,LLC. Even though the business is "out of business" you should still sue it.

The form for the complaint is located at:
http://www.georgiacourts.org/courts/fulton/files/magcourtstatementofclaim.pdf

In the complaint form, simply restate exactly what you have told me here.

There is also a guide to filing small claims suits in Fulton County located on this website: http://www.georgiacourts.org/courts/fulton/magistrate_civil.php

You need to file the lawsuit at any of the following locations:
There are three locations for filing:
JUSTICE CENTER TOWER
XXXXX, S.W. ROOM TG700, ATLANTA, GA 30303
(NNN) NNN-NNNN

NORTH FULTON SERVICE CENTER
XXXXX ROOM 231, ATLANTA, GA 30350
(NNN) NNN-NNNN

SOUTH FULTON SERVICE CENTER
XXXXX, ROOM 213, COLLEGE PARK, GA 30349
(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Since you will be suing the LLC as well, you need to obtain the name of the registered agent for service of process to serve the lawsuit on. You can find this by calling the Corporations’ listing office of the Secretary of State,(NNN) NNN-NNNN to obtain the name of the registered agent for service and the agent’s address.

If you are suing someone you must pay a $76.50 filing fee. This fee includes filing and service on the defendant. If you are suing more than one defendant in Fulton County, the cost for each additional service is $25.00.

Please let me know if you have additional questions

Best Regards,
ZDN

This is the exact information i was looking for i will proceed with your advice

Thank you for your help

Yemisrach

You are welcome. Please remember to rate my services positively so that I might receive compensation for my work from the website.

Good Luck,
ZDN
TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney