How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Juliana Your Own Question
Juliana, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1651
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Juliana is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dea procedure

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend (who is a doctor) recently recieved a letter stating that he cannot write narcotic rx's for x months. We live in florida. Why would this happen? What allows them to do this? Can someone please forward this to legal? I can't figure out how to remove it from "mental health".


Thanks for your question.

The letter your boyfriend received should give an indication of why his DEA number/registration has been suspended. I don't know the particularly reason why the DEA has done this to your boyfriend, and it's hard for me to speculate. However, since every prescription that is written is tracked by the DEA, if it discovers that a physician has written an unusually large number of prescriptions for narcotics, or, that the physician has written a large number of prescriptions for the same patient, it may suspend the physician's number/registration pending an investigation. The DEA will also effect a suspension if criminal charges have either been filed or are forthcoming.

Again, I'm not sure why this has happened to your boyfriend, but, the DEA does have the authority to do this in the types of situations I've described above.

Hope this helps. Good luck.


Juliana and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has a narcotic problem and was filling rx's in my name. It's pretty. I put a stop to that months ago when I found out (I went in to all pharmacies and signed that I didn't want anyone but me picking rx's up). I also pushed him to get help but he is insisting he's not an addict... I know better. If he is investigated, is there any way I could be at fault or in legal trouble?
Unless you were a knowing participant in this scheme - for instance, you allowed him to write prescriptions to you - you should not be in any trouble.

I hope your boyfriend admits he has a problem and seeks help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I hope he does too. If I reported him to the DEA, would they protect my identity or would they have to present the evidence I have provided (which hell undoubtedly link to me)?
Since the DEA is already involved, it would not be necessary or even advisable to contact them. This situation may already result in criminal charges against him. The DEA is a federal law enforcement agency, so you don't want to volunteer any information to them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would it be more advisable to contact the PRN? Then he has a shot of keeping his license down the road. I don't want him to lose what he's worked for, but I m trying to find a solution that forces him to be treated without him hitting rock bottom/hurting a patient, ending up dead ...
I'm not familiar with the PRN. What does it do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Professorial resource network. They are contracted by the dea and basically intervene with professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc). Basically they allow the professional to admit to treatment and then monitor them afterwards (mandatory drug tests, therapy etc) for 5 years after.
I'm not sure what implications, if any, that could have if criminal charges were to be filed against him. Also, it is important that he admits he has a problem. If I were you, I would first make an anonymous call to the PRM to get more info on this issue.