How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in Turkey my birth document shows I am 36 but because

This answer was rated:

I was born in Turkey my birth document shows I am 36 but because my parent is illiterate they didnt check the mistake birth certificate place did it, instead of 1980 they put 1976, and when i moved to amerika i did everything with wrong age, now I am a american citizen. My age is bothering me because it is not who I am. Can I legally change it.

Hello Sarah,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney and glad to try and help out.

Sure, this is certainly doable, and Turkey actually utilizes a rather modern system called the Central Civil Registration System (MERNIS). But, you'll have to do this pursuant to Turkish law, so here is how that works. The simplest approach would be to submit an electronic inquiry:


If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

LawHelpNow and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Sarah,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am an american citizen now, do I have to do it from Turkey or I can go to court here and correct it

Hey Sarah,

Good to hear from you!

Yes, even with being a United States citizen, you have to approach it through Turkey. Sorry about that, but it's the way the system works.
Hope all goes smoothly for you.
Take care and have a good weekend!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok then when i get a paper from Turkey and my paper shows my age changed, is it hard to change my age here in united stetes, what is the steps, or i just need to send to Social security ofiice to change it directly

Hi again Sarah,

Thanks for writing back.
Once you have the proper document from Turkey, it's actually a fairly straightforward process here in the United States.
Here is a step by step guide to the process:
Correcting a date of birth on Social Security's records

Take care and have a good weekend!