How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Why would the NH court ignore a statute of limitation thats

This answer was rated:

Why would the NH court ignore a statute of limitation that's expired AND an out of Jurisdiction law?


Thank you for trusting us with your problem.

Can you explain the situation a little more?

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for getting back.


1. x boyfriend has sm. claims in NH court for $7k.

2. I wrote to the court saying I live in NC been here since '99.

it's out of the courts jurisdiction.

3. The statue of limitations ran out about decade ago in NH.

4. BotXXXXX XXXXXne he loaned me the promissory note back in 200!


I just got a letter from the court in NH saying they want an appearance in Feb. - RU KIDDING? So they ignored the limitations and jurisdiction?

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Wendy!

that's fine...think I may need someone for a NH expert?


Not sure...

thanks for getting back...



Let me know!


Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

The problem you are facing is that, while you wrote a letter, that isn't evidence in and of itself. While the things you said in the letter may be true, you have to offer evidence of them in court.

In addition, you may have waived the right to challenge the jurisdiction of the court based on where you live. By writing the letter the court can find that you entered an appearance and thereby submitted yourself to its jurisdiction and waived any objection. Your position will have to be that what you sent was an objection to the jurisdiction.

At this point you have two options, appear in court and argue that the statute of limitations is passed or argue that the court has no jurisdiction due to your location and ask the court to grant the objection you made in the letter.

You can choose to ignore it and then the court there will enter a judgment against you. However, to collect it there in NC they will have to file it there and ask for it to be "domesticated". If the court had no jurisdiction then you may be able to stop them from collecting.

Also, the statute of limitations is an affirmative defense and the burden is on you to prove through evidence offered in court that the statute has passed.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. I am about to sign off but I will pick up and continue in the morning if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, the court slip that I was forced to fill out / respond to only gave me 2 options. I called them when I received it and they said you have to choose one or go in default and the plaintiff wins.


1. District court hearing before a judge.

2. Superior Court trial by jury.


In looking at the the Note that was written in 2000, I just looked at the statute of limitations AND the jurisdiction write ups on the web. So, why would they have me appear in court after I told them I live in NC since 1999?



Did you use a form or "send a letter"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was a form from the court. (pink slip)...

What you have done is make an allegation as to a defense, but that allegation alone is not evidence. You can appear at court and argue your point and offer evidence and there should be no reason that the judge doesn't dismiss the case on statute of limitations grounds. However, the other side also has the right to contest the matter and try to show that the statute of limitations has not expired.

As to jurisdiction, if you were living in NH at the time the loan was made or the incident happened then the court would have jurisdiction over the matter. There are other ways the court could have jurisdiction as well. To challenge that you would have to appear and challenge it, but as I said before, you are going to have to take the position that your response was an objection to jurisdiction and address that issue first. If not, then you waive the argument.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, where can I find the actual laws?


1. I'm not sure which state to pull them. I only pulled the NH ones.

2. I researched ehow - and it told me that on both counts they had expired.


I really don't know why they would have me travel to NH from NC to do this, esp. after I sent them the letter (as the court person told me to do).


$300 round trip for this?



What do you mean "the actual laws"?

Don't ever rely on ehow. They are often inaccurate. Many of the people writing for them and the people editing the articles have or had no legal training.

The reason you have to travel is because you have been sued. Court doesn't work the way you think it does. Just because you told them the statute of limitations has expired doesn't mean it has. They have to get you on the record with sworn testimony and the judge has to believe you. All sending an answer in does is put the matter in issue. It is now up to you to prove it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, do I need to get an attorney for NH?


You might want to consider talking to one and getting a price. It sounds like a case that ought to be dismissed and the attorney will know how to file the pretrial motions for dismissal and may be able to get it dismissed without you having to go there. You may even be able to get them to file for sanctions for him filing on a lawsuit past the statute of limitations and get your attorney's fees awarded to you and a judgment issued against him.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That makes sense to me! Do you have any recommendations for an attorney in NH? And the 'type' of attorney?

Unfortunately we can't give specific recommendations as to attorneys. However, if you go to and look for one that does civil litigation in that area you should be able to find one with no problem. This should be a relatively simple process if you're going to hire an attorney.

I'm going to put my disclaimer, but feel free to ask any more questions that you have.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Dwayne B. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you