TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I have a question regarding a deferred prosecution contract.

I have a question regarding a deferred prosecution contract. After a person has signed the agreement, when they return to court for their review, is that considered a trial or a hearing?

Thank you for your question. When you return to court to enter a plea bargain, such as a deferred prosecution contract, this would be considered a hearing rather than a trial.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

-ZDN

If you have not other questions on this subject, please don't forget to rate my answer positively so that I might receive compensation for my work. Please let me know if you want to talk more about this issue.

-ZDN

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it's only a hearing, why would the report on my background check state "trial pending"? Is there a way to correct the status with the BIB? If not, what might my options be?

Because the trial is still pending until you have the plea bargain approved by the court.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there anything that I can do in the meantime that will help me get a job, or do I have to just wait it out?

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do but wait it out at this point. As soon as they enter the deferred adjudication before the court, the court system will be updated to reflect that there is no longer a trial pending.

-ZDN