Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question regarding a deferred prosecution contract.

After a person has signed...
I have a question regarding a deferred prosecution contract. After a person has signed the agreement, when they return to court for their review, is that considered a trial or a hearing?
11/12/2012
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

Thank you for your question. When you return to court to enter a plea bargain, such as a deferred prosecution contract, this would be considered a hearing rather than a trial.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

-ZDN

TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney

If you have not other questions on this subject, please don't forget to rate my answer positively so that I might receive compensation for my work. Please let me know if you want to talk more about this issue.

-ZDN

If it's only a hearing, why would the report on my background check state "trial pending"? Is there a way to correct the status with the BIB? If not, what might my options be?

Because the trial is still pending until you have the plea bargain approved by the court.

Is there anything that I can do in the meantime that will help me get a job, or do I have to just wait it out?

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do but wait it out at this point. As soon as they enter the deferred adjudication before the court, the court system will be updated to reflect that there is no longer a trial pending.

-ZDN

TexLaw
TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney