Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How long can a contractor legally wait to send a bill from

date of service. I...
How long can a contractor legally wait to send a bill from date of service. I had a tree removed from my house nearly 4 months ago and have tried a few times to call the tree service for a bill but have not yet received it. The majority should be paid by my insurance and everything else is complete from the damage and paid by insurance. I'm worried that if the contractor sends me a bill in a year or more, for example, that the insurance company will no longer pay and I will be liable. Is there a statute of limitations on how long a contractor has to collect? Is there a statute of limitations on how long an insurance co has to pay on a claim? Is there anything I can do to protect myself in this situation. Thanks!
11/10/2012
Barrister, Attorney
.
Since this would be a contract for services, the statute of limitations in Ohio for enforcing the contract would be 6 years. So literally, they could wait up to just before 6 years to send a bill.
.
I would suggest notifying the insurance company directly that you are waiting on an invoice and having trouble getting it. Then I would ask them to directly contact the tree service to have them direct bill the insurer. As long as you have notified them of the outstanding claim, they couldn't close the file until the damages had been paid.
.
To make yourself a priority, I might pay him a visit personally at his place of business and request that he print out an invoice right then.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation but I don't make the laws, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney