How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a contractor in the state of Nevada. Over the past five

This answer was rated:

I am a contractor in the state of Nevada. Over the past five months I have done services for several apartment complexes all owned or co owned by the same person, he has failed to keep up on payments and at this point i have stopped doing any more work now he ignores my attempts to collect money from him. I have all invoices signed by the managers of the complexes and a total of just over seven thousand. I don't know what to do next to get him to pay, what can i do?

Thank you for your question.

What kind of services have you performed? Do you have a written contract with the owners or just the signed invoices?

I look forward to hearing back from you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just signed invoices not from the owner himself only the managers or employees. It was for air conditioning services
Thank you for your response.

You have three options:

1) File a lawsuit in district court seeking the full amount of what is owed, plus interest, plus attorneys fees (could take years to resolve);

2) File a lawsuit in small claims court seeking $7,500 for the unpaid services (takes a matter of months);

3) File a mechanic's lien on the properties (they must be sued upon within 6 months if the owners don't satisfy the amount owed).

Please let me know which one you are interested in and I will provide you with further information.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Option 3 sounds best for my situation, thank you
The Nevada Legislature has set forth the procedures for creating and enforcing a mechanics liens in the Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) Chapter 108. Because of the unusual and powerful nature of a mechanics lien, special requirements must be followed in order to rightfully secure a mechanics lien. In general, a contractor or supplier must:

1) Provide work or materials valued at $500.00 or more for the repair or improvement of the property;
2) Be licensed, if required, to perform the work;
Timely provide a “Notice of Right to Lien” if he does not have a direct contract with the property owner;
3) Provide a “Notice of Intent To Lien” fifteen (15) days before recording his mechanics lien;
Timely record his mechanics lien (formally called a “Notice of Lien”); and
4) Timely file a lawsuit to foreclose the mechanics lien within six (6) months of recording the lien.

The following website has the forms you will need to use.

You've got to send out the "Notice of Intent to Lien" document to the owners. Then you file the lien and send them the notice of lien.

Once they've paid, you use the release of lien form that is also on this website.

It's pretty self explanatory. You can download the form and file these yourself with the office of the county recorder of the county where the property is located. Or you can use the service on the website and they will handle the filing of the lien for you. They are charging you for a service that you can do yourself, and I would recommend doing it yourself, as it is not a big deal.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you