Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Under NJ Law, a PROVISIONAL driver gets a speeding ticket (77

in a 55 zone)....
Under NJ Law, a PROVISIONAL driver gets a speeding ticket (77 in a 55 zone). Am I correct that this cannot be pleaded down to a 4:97.2 (no points), and that the driver must take a "points" plea? Assume that the driver pleads to 69 in a 55 (2 points). What are the consequences of same?
11/1/2012
I am afraid that the ticket cannot be pled down to a unsafe driving violation because of the provisional driver status. The only thing the driver can do is plead it down from the 4 point violation to the 2 point violation. This violation also requires an appearance before the court because of your provisional license status. The consequences are that if the driver gets another ticket they can face a license suspension for up to 12 months for getting a second violation while under provisional license status. Unfortunately, the points will also be reported to the insurance companies and it can cause an increase of your insurance rates.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney