How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i would like to know what i can do i had a contractor come

This answer was rated:

i would like to know what i can do i had a contractor come in and clean up a busted water line . they were going to do the repairs but after 5 weeks not hearing from them i ask my insurance co if i could fire them i have dates and time were both insurance and myself tried to contact them. Now 1 yr later they are suing me for 3500.00 there repair cost that they never did.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Did you have someone else perform the work? And, if so, was that person paid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the insurance co provideed me with the name of a contract and he came and preformed all the work. And was paid the original co was paid 4500.00 in dryout fees


Do you have documented / written proof of that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i have the written bill and recepts the insurance co also has copys of all the records


Thank you. Is this a licensed plumber that you were dealing with (who is now trying to collect from you)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no a company named Great lakes Renovaion And the Muller Richmond Harms & Meyers P. C. Attorneys and counselers

Thank you.

You can respond back to them saying that no monies are owed because their client abandoned the job and someone else had to perform the work, inform them that if they wish to pursue this matter, you will file a complaint with the State against the contractor and you reserve your right to file a counter-suit for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Michigan Collection Practices Act.

I hope that you found this information to be helpful and, indeed, informative and worthy of a positive rating so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you