Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am about to graduate with my masters degree and have made

I am about to graduate...
I am about to graduate with my master's degree and have made a mistake that I am very sorry for. While doing my capstone project for my master's degree I was being advised by an inexperienced research professor. We both thought if I did an anonymous survey that I was exempt from IRB approval. However, in the aftermath I now realize I needed to convene an IRB and apply for the exemption. I have been completely up front and apologetic about the situation. All of the data has been destroyed. I am now worried that I may not be allowed to graduate. What can I do?
11/1/2012
If you received this information from the professor, this is your defense. As a student, while you are supposed to be familiar with research rules and approvals, the supervising professor who was advising on the project is ultimately responsible for advising you properly and to follow the rules. Thus, your defense here is that you presented this to the professor who advised you the approval or exemption was not required by the IRB and as such you should not be penalized for following the instructions provided by your advisor. In most all cases, where there has been an admission and an apology and you did indeed get this advice from your advising professor who is responsible for properly supervising you, no drastic sanctions are generally imposed.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

The instructor says she didn't know I was doing the survey but I have an email transmission which shows that she did. Should I find a local lawyer to help me with this? I'm working part time and am trying to not do this unless its absolutely necessary.

The email is your proof no matter what she says now. At this point an attorney is not necessary, since you have your documentation in the email together with the argument above that you did present it to her and she did advise you improperly and it was simply a mistake which was immediately corrected when discovered.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney