How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27534
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can the recipient of a judgement collect money owed by siezing

This answer was rated:

Can the recipient of a judgement collect money owed by siezing personal property from the '
defendants home, autos, work tools, etc.?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. What is the amount of the judgment, which the party is looking to enforce? Has the defendant refused to pay?

Hi Michael. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had a chance to respond to my information request above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The judgement is for $2,700 against me personally and another against my small business which is incorporated. I was quoted the cost of $2,800 by local attorneys to defend this, I did not. I do not have that much available to pay the judgement, what do I do, what kind of actions of collection am I subject to???

Normally, if a party fails to pay, the plaintiff will first go after there wages and try to garnish them. If they are unable to, the next step would be go to after any assets and place a lien on them, to secure the judgment, knowing that if and when they are sold, they would get paid. It is highly unlikely that for a judgment of $2700, that the Judge would allow a forced sale of any property, so a lien or garnishment is the likely outcome, unless of course you can work something out to settle the amount owed, for less.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I am successful in ultimately negotiating a settlement price, what should I ask for to show that it's paid, is there anything I should ask to be filed with the courts showing it's paid? Is there anything I should ask for saying the paid amount is settlement in full?

You can certainly ask them upon payment, to provide you, in writing, a document that says the amount owed has been paid/settled and you are not longer liable on the judgment. If anything, as a condition to the settlement, you can ask them to file a satisfaction of it, with the court.
LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Michael. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Legal Questions