How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28346
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a complaint for the balance owed for my car

This answer was rated:

I have received a complaint for the balance owed for my car that was repossessed in 2007. Once my car was sold, the company contacted me and payment arrangements were made but I was unable to honor them due to the loss of both mine and my husband's jobs. Since that time there has been no communication from the bank regarding the balance owed.

We are just now getting back on our feet. I know I must reply to the complaint (totals $9500 for amount owed plus interest plus attorney fees, etc.) but I cannot afford an attorney to help me. Can you tell me what my rights are? I believe that the plaintiff is required to provide certain documentation to prove their case and would like to make a reasonable payment arrangement if possible.

Any help you could provide regarding my recourses would be must appreciated. Thank you!

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your situation and concern. You do need to read the complaint and respond to the allegations in it. You can either admit to them, deny them or say you are unable to answer, since you are without knowledge. Moreover, you can raise any legal defenses which you may have, that would prevent the plaintiff from collecting. They would need to prove/evidence that the debt is owed and should have attached to the complaint, evidence to support it. If they did not, you could have a defense and they may not be able to prove you owe anything. If you are able to start paying now, you can try contacting them and see if they will agree to a payment plan and dismiss the case or when you appear in court, request that the case be sent to mediation, so you can try and resolve it then. If you are willing to make payments on the debt owed, the other party should strongly consider accepting them and dismissing the lawsuit, without prejudice.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you