How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55605
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a respected music professional in New Orleans. Recently

This answer was rated:

I am a respected music professional in New Orleans. Recently a band member turned on me and began to slander me to several people in town...and his hearsay got back to my employer. This person wrongly accused me of being a thief and generally slandered me in any way he could. This has gone on for about 4 months now, and I keep hearing through other people that he is still talking behind my back to people. How can I legally stop him? He is ruining my good name and he will not stop. Also...he has been sexually inappropriate with me and several women I know. I know that is unrelated, but to me that shows a lot about his character. I have over 6 witnesses that can attest to his slander. Do I have any recourse in this matter??

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Yes, you have recourse here. It
is likely you have a cause of action for defamation. Let me explain what
defamation is and then you can make the determination whether or not it is
something you wish to pursue. I

am going to provide you information on both slander and libel since they are so

closely related and so often confused with each other. They are civil injuries

that harm reputation, cause a reduction in respect, regard or confidence, or

cause disparaging, hostile or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an

individual or entity. The laws regarding libel and slander are the same. To

prevail in a defamation suit for libel or slander and recover damages, a person

("Person A") must prove 4 things: (i) another person ("Person
B") conveyed a

defamatory message they knew or should have known to be false; (ii) the

material was published (i.e., conveyed to someone other than Person A); (iii)

Person A can be identified as the person referred to in the defamatory
material; and (iv) Person A suffered an injury to Person A's reputation as a
result of the communication.

before actually filing the suit, you would send them a letter detailing the
situation and demanding that they: i) retract all prior defamatory statements
made, and ii) cease and desist from making any in the future.

letter usually resolves the issue because people hate to get sued. If you need
a template for a letter, let me know.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you