Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

One and a half year ago, I allowed my ex-girlfriend to borrow

my car for 3 months...
One and a half year ago, I allowed my ex-girlfriend to borrow my car for 3 months so she can buy a car for herself. She said she was going to make the payments along with the auto insurance and she has only made 6 payments. I have asked her numerous of times to return my car, and she said she for me to leave her alone!!! I have been renting a car to get to work, but can no longer afford to do this. I cannot buy another car because no bank is going to give me another loan, plus my credit is not that great. Please help me, what do I do?
11/1/2012
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)

Does.she still have the car?

Who is making the payments?

Is the title in your name?

She still has the car. I am making the payments and the title is in my name only.

Dear JACUSTOMER - You need to file a suit for replevin of the vehicle and for the amount of payments she has not made. The court will then order the car returned to you and you can get a judgment against her for the amount of money you have spent while she has had possession. I doubt the police would take a criminal complaint for unauthorized use of a vehicle but you can try that as well and have her charged with a crime. It would be up to the police as to whether they will file criminal charges but if they will that would be the quickest way to resolve the issue.

Thank you very much for your response. As I stated, she has only made 5 payments on the car so I can sue her for the other non-payments. Can I represent myself in court?

Yes and yes!

Thank you so much! You have been very helpful.

No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)