How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

is the law for an under age person the same as those of legal drinking age for an owi, and does that charge go away when the person turns 18? oh, and how do i turn him in?


Thank you for your question.

The law regarding DWI's is the same regardless of age. The only difference will be in the punishment of the crime if convicted. Since this is a non-violent crime, the criminal records should be sealed and will not be discoverable after the minor turns 18. However, the minor may need to hire an attorney to ensure that the state seals the records. In other words, there might need to be a specific request that the records be sealed depending on the local procedural laws of the court in which the minor is prosecuted.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

TexLaw and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you