How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28335
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dating exclusively for 2 years-large sum of money borrowed to pay bills and also a loan ta

This answer was rated:

Dating exclusively for 2 years-large sum of money borrowed to pay bills and also a loan taken out. We are breaking up and what legal action can I take

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your concern. Was there any written agreement to pay back this money or just a verbal one? Also, was any of this money given as a gift?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Verbal agreement on 20K that I wrote notes on and have reciepts.

Another 10k loan cosigned with a bank


The other party would have a legal obligation to repay you for the money loaned. If they are unwilling to do so, you would need to file a civil cause of action against them, to recover. Absent a written agreement, you would need to rely on the verbal terms and conditions of the loan as well as the other evidence which you have ( i.e. receipts), to prove the money was lent and they agreed to pay you back. In an ideal situation, they would do so but if they will not, the court would have to step in and find that they money is owed and they are responsible to pay it. If they do, you can obtain a judgment against this other party. Based upon the large amount which you seek to recover, this would not be a matter for small claims court and something which you should consider retaining legal counsel for.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you talking about the cash loan-20K to pay their bills or the 10K loan I cosigned with him?


I am talking about both. If you loaned him 20K to pay his bills on the condition that he pay you back, you could sue him for that. If you co-signed on a loan with him, for his benefit, he should be making the payments. If he has/does not and you have to pay them since you obligated yourself to do so with the lender when you signed, you could sue and recover as well.

LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you