How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55705
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I agreed to sell a vehicle on payments to a person and I typed

This answer was rated:

I agreed to sell a vehicle on payments to a person and I typed an agreement showing how much to be paid and when and we both signed the agreement. The agreement was not taken to a Notery though.The person has not honored the agreement. I suspect that the person has moved to another location as far as I can tell. Should I consider the vehicle stolen now?

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. This would not rise to the level of a criminal charge, but you are certainly entitled to file a civil suit against the person. Then, once the suit is filed and a
judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor and can have the sheriff serve
a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing
party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath
about the losing party's assets. After that
information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank
accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other
property to satisfy the judgment.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you