Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I place a add with a local phone book company last year spent…

I place a add with...
I place a add with a local phone book company last year spent a little over 4000.00 dollars. My add had the wrong web site on it. That address goes directly to one of my competitors web site. And my half page add does not even show up in the small book. Can i sue them.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2012
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Was the company made aware of the problem at the time? Why did they not correct it and/or offer to refund your money? Have you contacted them about the problem and if so, what did they say?

I just found out about it they said they would look into it. But I cant seem to get a call back. It is a print phone book so they cant change it.

Rick, thank you for that additional information. If they printed the wrong website in the advertisement and you did not get what you paid for, they should refund you the money spent. Prior to printing the add, they should have allowed you to approve it and provided you with the layout. A half page advertisement , should be half a page. If it was not, there would be another basis for the refund. You can certainly make a demand for a refund and even see if they will run the proper ad for free, based upon the error which they made in printing/writing it. If they will not refund the money, then the matter would need to be handle through the court and a civil cause of action would need to be filed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

In the add is was told that the phone number and web page was unique. And would forward to my phone and web site. The phone worked and i never checked the website. They came out to resell me and i asked about the web numbers and the said they didnt have any. So a went to the web site listed and found it was not me but my comptetors.

Can you please clarify how the website was unique? Did you not have your own website? What did they print in the ad and what was it supposed to be?

the phone and website were setup by them new numbers and address so the can track it. There number and address was supposed to go to mine. the phone worked but the web address went somewhere else.So my competitor is getting my website hits.

I certainly understand and this is clearly a major issue, in regard to you not getting what was agreed upon and thus, a breach of contract. If they are unwilling to refund your money, the matter would have to be resolved through the court, since they failed to perform as agreed and through their mistake, sent business to a competitor instead of to you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney