How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 57687
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlffriend ran off with a police officer in Hoffman Estates

This answer was rated:

My girlffriend ran off with a police officer in Hoffman Estates IL. We owned the house in joint title. She sold it me when she was a mortgage broker and kept her name on the Title. The mortgage is only in my name. She will not sign a Quit Claim Currently the house is upside down I need the Tax write offs so I want to stay. She is not paying me anything for the house, yet will not move a lot her belongings out. Half the Garage is fiiled with her stuff. She thinks she has the right to come and go as she pleases. Can I change the locks? Can she break the door down? Can I give her stuff to goodwill? Again I live in Illinois
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma. You cannot lock her out or discard of her items. You should arrange for her to pick them up but if you throw them out, she could sue for its value. You should permit entry if coming to recover her items. By law is considered a tenant and has such rights. Good luck. I attempted to expedite a response to your question. Please select a positive rating for the answer. That is the only way I get credit for it by the site. If for some reason the rating feature is not working or you cannot find it, please write me back and let me know. Thanks.
INFOLAWYER and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you