How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28055
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i had loaned my stepfather an amount of money in 2001, after

This answer was rated:

i had loaned my stepfather an amount of money in 2001, after that my mother and stepfather bought a home, then made it to where i had to leave. Years have passed and my health became distress due to everything that had happened after some rehabilitation I have come back to the home, and tryed to work things out with them but they won't admit to any of it having taking place, and they also use my health as an excuse. What can i do to resolve this problem?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand your situation. Do you have anything to evidence the debt? When were they supposed to pay you back?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, i have no way of producing any tipe of agreement. it was all verbal, but because my stepfather had a long time debt from former wife. they also say that they bought the house with the 401k

Thank you for that additional information. Georgia does have a 4 year statute of limitations on an oral contract. That is the time in which a cause of action would need to be filed and the time would start to run, once the debt was due and not paid. I am not sure when they agreed to start paying you back but if more then 4 years has passed, they may have a defense. Notwithstanding, you would first have to sue them, if you are within the necessary time frame and would have to evidence the debt/agreement with your testimony. Testimony is a form of evidence but they could also respond and dispute it, by testimony as well. It would then be a matter for the court to decide, once they hear all the evidence.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i had told him that he could pay me when he could, no exact date was established but i thought a 10yr period would be enough for him of them to pay back.