How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33747
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone was granted a protective order against me based on

This answer was rated:

Someone was granted a protective order against me based on lies that he made up. The judge ruled in his favor because the plaintiff strongly objected to the acceptance of my evidence(cell phone records,text messages,cards,pictures). The judge did not allow my evidence to be admitted in court due to his objection. Is there a way for me to get this judgement overturned or to rehear the case if I obtain an attorney. I have been told that I have all of the evidence to prove that the respondent is lying;but because I did not have an attorney to represent me the evidence was not submitted properly to the judge.The respondent has a VERY STRONG history of lying on people,and dark criminal past (Class A felony convictions). He is trying to discredit me,so that I will not be a credible witness against his current criminal/immoral activity.
How long ago did the judge issue the order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The ruling was ordered on September 6,2012.

If you hire an attorney then there is a reasonable chance the attorney can get the judge to reconsider the ruling. They can file a motion for new trial or a motion for reconsideration but they usually have to be filed within 30 days so you would need to hurry.

Also, the records from the cell phone company are probably still not admissible in the form you are getting them.

You have to get them in a way that gets past the hearsay rule which requires testimony that they are business records and just getting them "certified" doesn't do that. The attorney will know how though.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Your information,particularly the info concerning the cell phone records,was extremely helpful.