LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
58185682

ok i was convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence and also

ok i was convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence and also convicted for a restraining order violation which is another misdemeanor....will these convictions stop me from traveling to canada?...........also i have a subscription for this site and it say my questions are free.....so i dont know why it says i have to pay more money if i like the answer
Persons who have been convicted of a criminal offense in any country may be inadmissible to Canada as a result of their criminal record. Even persons who do not require a Visa to enter Canada may still be refused permission to enter Canada if they are members of an inadmissible class.

INADMISSIBLE CLASSES:

Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of minor offenses (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of indictable criminal offenses (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI) are considered members of an Inadmissible Class. Domestic violence is an excludable offense.

A person who falls into the Inadmissible class can still apply for admission into Canada. Those who have been convicted of an offense outside Canada, and have had 5 years elapse since the termination of the custodial portion (if any) of the sentence imposed (not the sentence served), may apply for a Minister's APPROVAL OF REHABILITATION. The Minister's Approval will permanently remove the inadmissibility caused by conviction.

Persons who committed criminal activity or were convicted of criminal offenses outside Canada can apply for approval of rehabilitation by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration if five years have passed since the end of the criminal activity or the completion of the sentence.

Persons who wish to enter Canada but are ineligible for approval of rehabilitation because not enough time has passed can complete the form and check "For Information Only". An immigration officer will decide if a Temporary Resident/ Minister's Permit for temporary admission is warranted.

If less than 5 years have elapsed, or if persons are only seeking entry to Canada for a single or limited period, then they may apply for a TEMPORARY RESIDENT PERMIT.

If you do decide to travel to Canada, it is best to seek pre-approval before you embark on your trip.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so that means "yes" i can travel to canada with no problems?

No, it means you should seek pre-approval from Canada before you plan your trip. They routinely exclude people with convictions similar to yours.

Their decision may depend upon how long ago your convictions were. You have not told me when they occurred.