How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bought house from uncle and cousin for a set price.My uncle

This answer was rated:

Bought house from uncle and cousin for a set price.My uncle kept changing amount owed.Nothing was ever put in writing or got any reciepts of money i gave him.He said he was going to give me deed to house and i would pay him balance.I agreed and he gave me deed,but without gurannte. what should i do,
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

He has deeded the home to you? Has it been recorded? Is there any sort of written agreement for you to pay him over time or something?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes house has been deeded to me.And been recorded.Found out deed without gurantee ,does not give me protection from liens on house and other stuff.What can i do, to protect myself

It is not an issue that there are no warranties with the deed so long as there are no liens against the property. You could purchase title insurance on the property to protect yourself from prior liens. This would require a title search and to pay a title insurance company. Here is one of the major title insurance companies in Kansas:

I cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Unfortunately, sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. I hope you appreciate that I have given you an accurate understanding of the law. I will not just tell you what you want to hear.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Please show your appreciation for my candor by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

John Legal and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you