Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Hi, My son is severly sick, he abuses drugs IV, and got

Hi, My son is severly sick...

My son is severly sick, he abuses drugs IV, and got endocarditis. He was in the hospital for 1 week, but did not finish the required treatment IV which required him to stay in the hospital for 3 or 4 more weeks. Is there anybody that could help me out here. I dont know what to do? Please let me know if I have any saying by law since his mind is not working properly now. Thank you
10/1/2012
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

You can file to have the court adjudicate him incompetent and request that the court appoint you his guardian. This will place you in control over his healthcare and will give you the authority to force him in a treatment facility. This is not necessarily the typical guardianship but if you can show the court that your son is unable to make rational decisions based on his addiction then the court will likely appoint him a guardian.

Here is the Florida self-help site to get more information on guardianships. Please know that you will see lots of discussion about older adults. However, it is also made for this type of situation as well. http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/self_help/guardianship/index.shtml

There are not any free legal forms that make this easy to do on your own. You may need to get the aid of an attorney. You may check with your local legal aid for a free attorney.

You can find legal aid resources here: http://floridalegal.org/

I cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Unfortunately, sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. I hope you appreciate that I have given you an accurate understanding of the law. I will not just tell you what you want to hear.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Please show your appreciation for my candor by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
John Legal
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney