Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Hi. Its Mike again. So far so good but this may be the calm

Hi. It's Mike again. So far so good but this may be the calm before the storm. I do not trust this landlord in the least, besides lying to be and theatening me, he gave the 3 roommates 2 weeks notice to move out. I'm afraid he might enter the apartment when I'm not there and do God knows what. There are two locks - the regular bolt on above the doorknob and a medico above it. Can I change either or both? Hope you can chat
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome Back Mike,

I hope you were not waiting long as I just came on line.

The New York Attorneys General's Office states:
"Tenants in multiple dwellings can install and maintain their own locks on their apartment entrance doors in addition to the lock supplied by the landlord. The lock may be no more than three inches in circumference, and tenants must provide their landlord with a duplicate key upon request. Failure to provide the landlord with a duplicate key if requested can be construed as a violation of a substantial obligation of the tenancy, and can possibly lead to eviction proceedings."

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Tenant_Rights_2011.pdf

Therefore you may place an additional lock.

Best regards