How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a durable power of a ttoney for my ex wife that has

This answer was rated:

I have a durable power of a ttoney for my ex wife that has a refund from 2011 the IRS said I need a Fiduciary form 56, is this all I need?
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you. YES that is correct as that is the IRS form equivalent of a durable power of attorney. But also make sure that your wife signs the form and has it notarized.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My ex -wife is deceased

In that case, the durable power of attonrey that she gave you ended upon her passing. And the fiduciary Form 56 will not work. Instead, you need to go to an attorney and file what is known as a small estate probate. and once it is filed, you will have authority on behalf of her estate to collect the refund.
dylatess and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you