SavyLawyer
SavyLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to practice law, I have experience in dealing with a wide variety of legal issues.
14926557

What is the financial penalty for tampering with the US mail?

What is the financial penalty for tampering with the US mail? I worked at a company for 7 1/2 years that, despite my many complaints, continued to have my personal mail opened before it was given to me, and on one occassion a check to me was copied. It is not like I am a terrorist or something. I am a small town pediatrician and have been here for 37 years. I was working for a federal health clinic at that time, and when I left them in June this year, they opened 7 more pieces of my mail before my receiving them.
Thank you,
Paul A. Coward, MD

SavyLawyer :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer.

SavyLawyer :

Give me just a moment to review your question.

SavyLawyer :

Opening or tampering with the mail of another is a federal crime and may subject an individual to both significant fines and jail time. However, the issue of intent will be an issue, and if the person opening the mail had reason to believe that the mail could be opened (this becomes particularly true if the mail is addressed to someone at work instead of at a home address), then the penalties may not apply.

SavyLawyer :

Issues of mail tampering or the like can be reported to the United States Postal Inspection Service, who can be reached at:

SavyLawyer :

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/phoneus.aspx

Customer:

Even if it is obvious that the mail is totally personal----no chance to be related to business---there is basically nothing I can. do?

SavyLawyer :

They would be the agency that would handle an investigation regarding mail related tampering.

SavyLawyer :

That is not what I said, you can file a complaint with the United States Postal Inspector, who will determine if there is sufficient intent to investigate. I just wanted you to be aware that intent is a key element. If the mail is clearly personal, that may be enough to show intent, but the question of course would then be raised, if the mail is completely personal, why it was being sent to work. There may be a perfectly good reason, but this is an informational site and so I want to provide you with as much information as I can.

SavyLawyer :

Again, the Postal Inspector can be reached at:

SavyLawyer :

Customer:

Thank you for your time.

Paul

SavyLawyer :

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions. Otherwise, please remember to RATE my answer AT LEAST 3 out of 5 so that I can receive credit for my work.