Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

On Thursday Aug 30, I informed my employer the National Park

Customer Question
Service that I had accepted...
On Thursday Aug 30, I informed my employer the National Park Service that I had accepted a position with the my local school district. They were aware that I was seeking other employment. I was willing to give them 30 days to find a replacement and help with a new Chief that had just been hired. The group superintendent rejected that offer and ended my employment on September 4th am I entitled to any compensation for what I feel is wrongful termination even though they are well aware.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
9/1/2012
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear that you were terminated. Were you given reason for the early termination? In your notice to them, did you state that you will resign by the 30th? Were you a contractual employee for them?

I am a SCEP employee which is a student employee and no they did not state why I was terminated as of that date.

Thank you for your follow-up, Eunice.

Based on my review of SCEP guidelines, there is no requirement that they keep you employed. Having said that, you can potentially pursue them for lost wages if you did not have a periodic set of employment, meaning that your employment was not set to expire on the date that you were given as termination. That would not invalidate their termination, but you could pursue them for the wages you would have lost from the date of termination to you resignation date.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney