How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28364
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Texas, a female is 17 years old (2 months from 18) a senior

Customer Question

In Texas, a female is 17 years old (2 months from 18) a senior in high school. Parents already make her maintain finacial responsibility. Can a local officer forcibly remove her to go back home or just have her contact the parents telling them where shes at that shes ok and continuing school?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. Can you please be more specific when you say remove her? Where is she being removed from? WHo is she living with and who called the police? Are the parents allowing her to move out or did she leave on her own?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If she was to move in with her boyfriends parents. Shes not positive they would even call the police, but if they do she would like to be prepared. Her parents let her pregnant older sister and her husband move in and the fights got worse due to her sister starting arguments. So this would be her leaving on her own, if they were to call the local Police Department etc. She just feels she will be more successful in school her senior year and her job to have money to support herself because they sold her car and said they would buy her a new one if SHE paid for it and the insurance.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 years ago.

I certainly understand. The police would likely go to the home and pick her up and make her return, if her parents reported this. Moreover, the boyfriends parents have no legal right to allow and to keep her there, as a minor. As such, they could get in trouble for keeping her there when she would need to go home. Once she turns 18, she would be an adult and could leave the home. However, at this time, absent consent from her own parents, if the police were called, she would be removed. While you stated some valid reasons for her to possible seek to be emancipated through the court, by the time this would be done, she would be an adult anyway, so it would be moot.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

From what I have read in many cases the police can not remove her they can just go make her contact her parents with her location and that shes ok. I agree that its kind of pointless to do this rather just wait 60 days until shes 18 then she can do it on her own regardless. Her argument to that is that puts her through the first two six week grading periods of school and shes afraid her grades will drop in that time due to stress and them making her wait on them and her sister hand and foot before doing homework etc.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 years ago.
Are the parents of the boyfriend going to allow her to stay even against the objection of her parents? What if the parents come to the home to get their child? You make valid points about school but it would not take away the rights of the parents to have her come home if demanded. If the parents care they will not allow this and I'm sure the parents of the boyfriend are not going to want to fight with her parents over this.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 years ago.
Hi Brad. I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 years ago.
Hi Brad. I wanted to follow up in response to the bad service rating you gave me. Are there any other questions which I can answer or things which I can clarify? I am trying to find out the basis of the negative rating and if there is anything else I can do to help.